Friday, March 6, 2015

Potential, Pinocchio and Truth

At this point in time and considering how often it has been shown, you have undoubtedly seen the Geico commercial which portrays Pinocchio as a bad motivational speaker.
 
As someone who is a motivational speaker, I would hate to begin my presentation with such a stereotypical cliché. With no pun intended, Pinocchio clearly points out what an abstract expression “potential” really is.

Moreover, the concept of potential is highly interpretive. How do you personally define potential? Is your definition for other people such as your children or those who you lead professionally conform to the same definition that you hold for your own self-potential? How does your organization define potential when it comes to its employees?

As you can see, there is no clear line in the sand when it comes to exactly what potential is. The concept of human potential is subjectively (and often unrealistically) linked to human expectation. This is often typified by employers who exhibit the corporate attitude “what can you do for me today?”. Then, there are overbearing parents who continually pressure their child to become a doctor or lawyer… because that is what the parent wants for the child.

While I can tell you first hand that throughout my life, other people saw my capabilities (potential) long before I did. Unfortunately, many of these people kept harping at me that “I wasn’t working up to my potential”. The problem with this approach was that it didn’t help me in any way to understand what this mystical potential was, let alone help me to utilize it. Rather than making me want to reach higher and work harder, in reality it made me feel inferior while sending a clear message that “I simply didn’t measure up”.

Thank the good Lord above… that He put some other people in my path along the road of life who not only saw my capabilities, they took the time to point them out to me and then proceeded to mentor me in learning how to develop them. While I could elaborate in further detail, those are stories for another day.

What I want to focus on in present time is the need to clarify what potential is. Confucius observed that “The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential… these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence.”  

Winston Churchill believed that “Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking your potential”.

While these observations indicate that your will coupled with your continuous effort will help you discover what your potential is -- I have come to comprehend and to teach that your actual potential is simply your “capacity and need to do something better”. 

The reality is that every individual and every organization have the ability to better utilize their talents, abilities, skills, resources and assets to improve some aspect of their everyday performance.

Therefore, you, your people and your organization are already equipped (have the capacity) to make significant improvements (do something better) in actual performance. What remains for individuals and organizations to determine is where is it that you specifically “need” to improve.

What is the most important thing (top priority) that you need to change or improve? What skills and abilities do your people have that your organization needs that to help them use more often, more effectively and more successfully?

When you view the issue of potential from this perspective, there is far more clarity about what your potential is (what are you capable of doing better), where your potential lies (what skills, talents & abilities are on board and already available) and how to harness such potential (what is your most important need).

Making improvements to individual and organization performance along with identifying and tapping into your potential is a “process”.

As your valued resource partner, we can readily assist your organization, its leadership and your people with the processes that will enable them to… Learn more… Do more… Become more.

Copyright © 2015 Developing Forward | Thomas H. Swank, CBC

No comments: